Sunday, November 17, 2013

Four Additional Social Media Tools

No doubt, there is a smorgasbord of social media tools out there for small businesses.  I feel like social media has really democratized the entrepreneurial field.  With a bit of internet savvy, now almost anyone can launch a business.

In reviewing the additional tools, two stood out as additional vehicles appropriate to promote 'Manvolution'. I know this assignment asked for four, but with some many SM options available, I feel like focused efforts on specific platforms will yield me better results versus a shotgun approach.  To that effect, I will explain why I didn't pick some of the SM options, and then explain how I will incorporate the ones that I did select.

Not Ready for prime time...

Groupon.  The deep discounting requirements of Groupon would water down my perceived value.  If I start off with Groupon offers, I've already discounted the reference price for my service to a level that inhibits my ability to execute a premium-priced service.  I also feel like Groupon works best for retail locations that are looking to drive off-peak business traffic.  No go on Groupon.  Same approach for Living Social.  I don't want to start off my business with discounting. 

LinkedIn.  Granted, there are personal trainers (about 1,000) and individual nutritionists (about 7) on LinkedIn.  But I don't feel this is where my customer is going to find a personal trainer/nutritionist.  People come to LinkedIn to find business-related contacts.  Personal Training and Fitness is outside of the business sphere, as it is a personal service an individual chooses for themselves - like cosmetic laser surgery or even plastic surgery.  

There are some fitness / nutrition groups I could join on LinkedIn, but I feel like the better places to connect are the industry-recognized organizations such as the American Council on Exercise and the Center for Integrative Health.  No go on LinkedIn.
 
Add to the Mix...

Yelp.  Let's face it, any savvy shopper of services is going to check them out on Yelp before purchase.  Having a presence on yelp is more of a mandate than an option.  If you are a service-oriented business, there is nothing to keep customers from reviewing your business.  Restaurants, haircuts, spas...all are on yelp and all of them know the importance of maintaining high review standings on yelp.  Being in the service business (personal training / nutrition), my standing on yelp matters.  The quality and objectivity of yelp reviews (being that they are self-reported) can be disputed.  I would likely test some advertising on Yelp as advertisers seem to fare better on yelp review scores.  I could also further integrate Yelp into my social media strategy by encouraging customers to post positive reviews of my business - perhaps by offering a free swag item such as a branded water bottle.  

Google Plus (Circles).  Google Circles is a great tool that can assist me with creating an online community of support for my clients.  Using Google Circles, I could add value to my personal training services by offering weekly call ins where clients call in, perhaps doing a weigh in, and then fielding a Q&A forum on that week's call-in topic (ex:  how to eat healthy while dining out or traveling).  Limiting the google circle forums to 15 minutes would enable me to rotate more customers through (10 max each forum).  In an hour, I could conduct four forums and connect with 40 clients.

Regarding google maps - right now my business is home-based and operating out of a PO box.  I don't want to placeholder a location that is not a physical business.  And I don't want to use my personal home address for privacy reasons.  So for now, no google maps location.

##

N. 

No comments:

Post a Comment