Sunday, October 13, 2013

Visual Networks: A Comparison of the Big Four

What I found interesting while comparing these visual networks is the data about men versus women.  Men are more likely to watch videos, and women are more likely to look at static videos.  I personally have not found that to be true with the women in my life - all tech users, but for the sake of my business (Manvolution), I'm going to assume this data is still true.

Following is a quick comparison of each visual network, and then my recommendation as to which of the four would be best for my business (Manvolution).

Youtube:
Many companies are using youtube business channels to get additional exposure for their commericals (apple) or to provide product training and product ideas (apple, bed bath and beyond).  Being under the google 'brand', youtube's stability as a social media network is guaranteed.  Also, their user-base is very strong.  Men are more video oriented, so for my male-oriented business, this would be a good social media network (SMN) for me to consider

Instagram:
Instagram started primarily as a cell-phone photo app, and has expanded to be a photo-sharing site competing with other visually based SMN's.  Primirily user content (photos).  This could be a good site to augment my business content with on-the-go video posts related to the healthy lifestyle, with pictures of activities, food products, and restaurants.


Tumblr:
Tumblr is another blog site.  I would probably hold off using this site until some clear category leaders come forth in the blog arena.  There are so many choices here, and there is much crossover with most SMN's offering some type of blog platform (ex:  Facebook scheduled posts can function as a blog).

Pinterest:
Pinterest has been the fastest -growing media site.  Setup as a virtual online scrapbook and clipboard site, it is completely visual and the majority of the users are female.  Because so few men, particularly the mature health-focus males that I am focused on, are using this site, I would likely not use it as an active component of my SMN  strategy.  I would, however, have a pinterest page to improve my SEO.  For pinterest I would pin pictures of me exercising and healthy meal options, with the hopes of re-pins improving my SEO.  I don't expect to have male customers come in directly from pinterest pins.

Which one for Manvolution?

Of these choices, my top choice would be Youtube.  Men are more video-oriented, and Youtube allows me to post short exercise and cooking clips that can be used as a call to action to acquire email addresses of potential users.  I would use free Youtube videos as bait for addresses, and then market to those respondents.  Because Youtube links to facebook, this is a good SMN to work with.  Since I don't have a webpage yet and am focusing on my facebook page to drive business, Youtube makes sense. 

My second SMN that I would use would be Instagram, simply because it is such an easy and powerful tool to keep my content, particularly video content, relevant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment